You might have heard of the Parmo – it’s a delicacy from Teesside (North East England) which everyone (nearly everyone) loves
It’s basically a flattened breaded chicken breast, deep fried, bechamel sauce and cheese on top. As you can probably tell, it’s extremely calorific.
I thought there must be a way to get the calorie content down, and there is! Mine comes in at 600 calories and it’s deeeeelicious!
What you will need (to make one Parmo):
- 1 chicken breast
- 2 medium eggs
- 1/2 cup 0% fat milk
- 10g unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup golden breadcrumbs
- 25g red leicester cheese
- 1 tablespoon of plain flour
- Pre-heat your oven to 180 (fan) degrees
- Butterfly your chicken breast and flatten with a rolling pin (or equivalent)
- Whisk your eggs and dip the chicken in the mixture then in the breadcrumbs
- Lay on a lined baking tray and put in the oven for 20 minutes
- Whisk flour and put in a pan along with a bit of the milk
- Start to stir in the rest of the milk slowly while stirring
- Add butter and stir this in until the mixture goes thick
- Take chicken breast out of the oven and top with mixture
- Add grated cheese and put back in the oven for 5 minutes
- The cheese should have melted and now it’s ready to eat!
- Serve with sweet potato chips and salad for a balanced meal